A vehicular flat car equipped with a superstructure designed to protect the lading. Autoracks come unilevel, bi-level, or tri-level configurations depending on the size of the vehicle to be carried. Autoracks are “circus loaded“, with loading ramps at each end and bridge plates between each car. Most autoracks consist of a single unit, but some are articulated.
- Small automobiles such as sedans can be carried on tri-level autoracks.
- Approximate capacity: 14
- Taller vehicles such as Pickup trucks, SUVs, and minivans require the additional headroom provided by bi-level racks.
- Approximate capacity: 8-10
- The tallest vehicles, such as semi trucks, buses, RVs, delivery vans, tractors, and specialty vehicles are carried in uni-level autoracks.
- Approximate capacity: 2-4