CSX Transportation (reporting marks “CSXT”) is a Class I Freight railroad operating 21,000 miles of track in in 23 states east of the Mississippi and 2 Canadian provinces.
- November 1980 – CSXT’s parent company, CSX Corporation, formed through the merger of Chessie System, Inc. and Seaboard Coast Line Industries, the parent companies of the C&O, B&O, Western Maryland Railway (WM), and Seaboard Coast Line (SCL)
- 1983 – Seabaord System Railroad, Inc. formed through mergers of Seaboard Coast Line (SCL) with other Family Line railroads
- 1986 – Seaboard System Railroad, Inc. was renamed to CSX Transportation (CSXT)
- April 1987 – Chessie System subsidiary B&O merged into C&O
- August 1987 – Chessie System merged into CSX Transportation